In support of the Government of Ghana’s (GoG) grand coastal management programme, the National Geographic Society is supporting a three-year research project for coastal management in Ghana. The project seeks to contribute to improve coastal monitoring and management strategies in West Africa. In this context, the Centre for Coastal Management (CCM) at the University of Cape Coast is presently leading a coastal management project in collaboration with some coastal research scientists in France and Benin.
The project seeks to use video systems and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to monitor different coastal environments on the coasts of Ghana and Benin, with different responses to oceanic forcing. These sophisticated operational monitoring systems will be used to capture simultaneously beach morphological changes and the forcing mechanisms (waves and tides) in order to estimati beach morphology.
Applications are invited from intereted candidates who are qualified for the award of small research grants tenable at all universities in Ghana.
The grant will support TWO candidates beginning 2018/19 academic year. The grant covers only field research and associated costs in the following academic disciplines and other related fields of study:
- Integrated Coastal Zone Management
- Computer science in coastal management
- Applicants must hold a good first degree (Grade: B+ or A would be an advantage) from a recognized university to qualify for admission. In addition, all applicants must satisfy the following specific requirements/prerequisites:
- Computer programming skills in one of the following software: MATLAB or Python
- Basics in the following fields of study is an advantage: Integrated Coastal Zone Management, Coastal processes, statistical models, Environmental Science, atmospheric science
- All candidates must submit following in the applications that should be delivered to the Centre for Coastal Management via email at email@example.com
- an application letter
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Motivation letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview
Deadline: 31st October, 2018
Funding Agency: National Geographic Society (The Society)