Number of Positions: – Five (5)
Duration of Assignment: One year (1st March, 2023- 29th February, 2024)
Duty Post: Centre for Coastal Management, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast with national and regional travel opportunities, as the case may be
The Centre for Coastal Management at the University of Cape Coast is an applied research and development-oriented Centre of Excellence recognised by the World Bank and supervised by the Association of African Universities (AAU). The Centre is a multidisciplinary think tank institution working in close committed partnerships with several funded programs supported inter alia by the World Bank, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), African Union – InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources, DANIDA, The US State Department through the American Embassy, West Africa Coastal Areas Management Program (WACA), National Geographic Society, The Wilder Institute of Canada, Social Science Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) of Canada and other State and non-state actors working within the domains of marine environmental management and coastal management, fisheries and maritime governance space in the sub-region around five (5) thematic areas:
In furtherance of its intention to strengthen its scientific competencies and technical capacities in the delivery of its assignments, we are seeking for young, knowledgeable, hardworking and dedicated team players willing to join our dynamic team of experts to contribute to worthy efforts within our mandate. Females are particularly encouraged to apply.
Suitable applicants must have a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) as a minimum qualification in one or a combination of the following areas; Marine Conservation, Maritime Affairs, Fisheries and/or Aquaculture, Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM), Oceanography, Climate Science, Resource Economics, Environmental Sciences, Sociology, and other fields related to the research priority areas of ACECoR.
Competencies in the use of spreadsheet, statistical analysis (quantitative and qualitative) and good knowledge and application of Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) are required and will give suitable candidates a competitive advantage in the selection process. In addition, applicants must have excellent writing skills and be well vested in field research activities as well.
Knowledge in French language will be an advantage.
Similarly, proven research/scientific skills by at least one (1) research publication in a reputable journal would impose an important contribution to the application.
The Project Support Officer will work within the scope of the priority/thematic areas of research in one or two of the Centre’s projects and will be assigned the following responsibilities:
1. Provide project support services to the Coordinator of a specific project within the Centre.
2. Engage in day-to-day project support services to a specific project within the Centre
3. Assist with the preparation of project/program concept notes, project-related reports and presentations
4. Engage in project related research activities in the laboratory and in the field
5. Collect field data, perform data analyses and write reports
6. Contribute to the development of grant-winning research proposals at the Centre
7. Conduct research required in the assigned thematic area to the highest standard and in accordance with all institutional and national regulations
8. Contribute to the technical and programmatic preparation of webinars, seminars and conferences
9. Perform any other assignment as shall be assigned by the Director of the Centre.
Benefits attached to this position are attractive.
How to apply
All suitable applicants should submit their application to the Director, Centre for Coastal Management, University of Cape Coast on or before Friday, February 17, 2023. All applications should include: 1) Application Letter, 2) Curriculum Vitae, 3) Copies of Academic and Relevant Certificates, 4) Letter of Motivation, and 5) Two Reference Letters. Send your application via email email@example.com under the subject ACECoR Project Support Officer. No phone calls, please. Thank you