This activity is aimed at building the professional competency of people working on coastal issues. This component introduces participants to best practices in all its training courses using standardized modules and technical sessions in classroom and field activities. The objective is to enhance the technical and leadership capacities of professionals from diverse backgrounds i.e. planners, disaster management officials, community development workers, educators, private sectors, etc.
Through this approach, opportunities are provided for public/private sector workers and organizations to share and build on their experiences and sharpen their competencies to make them more proactive towards coastal issues. To this end, CCM has undertaken critical actions including the delivery of quality and relevant educational programs in the form of short courses, and provision of technical advisory services. These programmes are primarily in support of government’s efforts towards the management of fisheries and coastal resources on a sustainable basis for national development.
Presently, capacity building at the Centre is focused on the following short courses:
- Introductory Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Intermediate Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM
- Fisheries Management and
- Adaptation and Mitigation to Climate Change in Coastal Areas
Through these short courses, the capacities of several professionals and stakeholders have been enhanced and we look forward to strengthening these programs into the future. Our support services including ICM library which is equipped with books and journals, cable and wireless internet provides course participants access to information.
Since its inception, the Centre has trained over 200 professionals in Ghana and coordinated various services in relation to the courses as follows:
- Developed training manuals on all the courses including PowerPoint presentations of modules, videos, charts and other materials needed for classroom, laboratory and field exercises
- Coordinated all communications on the workshop and provided required media communications
- Facilitated, evaluated and reported on the training workshops.
Institutions that have benefited from CCM’s training opportunities include:
- Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development (MoFAD) and the Fisheries Commission of Ghana
- Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture (MoTCCA)
- National Disaster Management organisation (NADMO)
- National Development Planning Commission (NDPC)
- Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection
- Regional Coordinating Councils (RCCs) and District Assemblies (MMDAs)
- Netherlands Development Organization (SNV)
- Journalists (JoyNews, TV3, Ghana News Agency, ATL FM, GTV, GHOne, etc.)
- Friends of the Nation
- University of Cape Coast
- University of Ghana
- University for Development Studies
- University of Energy and Natural Resources
- Kwame Krumah University of Science & Technology
- CSIR - Water Research Institute